Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find the answers to our most asked questions. If you don't find your answer here feel free to contact us.

What are the fees and charges when entering care at Bentley Wood?

Fees and charges are for Bentley Wood Aged Care facilities are outlined on the My Aged Care Website.

You could be asked to pay one or more of the following fees: 

A basic daily fee to cover living costs such as meals, power and laundry. In some cases, this may be the only fee you’re required to pay.

A means-tested care fee, which is an additional contribution towards the cost of care. The Department of Human Services will determine whether you need to pay this fee based on an assessment of your income and assets, and will advise you of the amount.

An accommodation payment. Some people’s accommodation costs are met partly or fully by the federal government, while others need to pay the accommodation price agreed with the aged care home. The Department of Human Services will advise you which scenario applies to you, based on an assessment of your income and assets.

There are annual and lifetime caps to limit the amount of the means-tested care fee you will have to pay.

You can call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to help you estimate the fees and charges you may have to pay towards your residential aged care. Before you call you should have your financial information ready; especially the various forms of income and assets.

When you move into an aged care home, you will negotiate an agreement setting out the fees and charges you will pay.

We encourage all prospective residents and representatives to contact the facility of interest and make an appointment with the Director of Nursing to discuss any questions you have regarding the fees and charges.


How do I access care?

If you’re thinking about moving into a federal government subsidised aged care home in Victoria, you’ll need to organise a free assessment with an Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS).

An ACAS usually includes a referral from a doctor, nurse, social worker and/or other health professionals. They’ll help you work out the services you need and assess your eligibility for residential care.

They can:

  • tell you about the aged care homes in your area
  • determine and approve your eligibility for an aged care home
  • help arrange residential respite care, like short stays in aged care homes, if you need it.

If you’re not eligible for residential care, an ACAS may be able to suggest other options, like home help, to meet your care needs. 

Respite care is available to all residents that have been assessed by the aged care assessment service.  Residents are entitled to 63 respite days per financial year.  Bookings are to arranged through individual facilities.  Please contact administration for respite enquiries and availability.

What is it like living in aged care?

Moving into an aged care home means new surroundings, routines and people. You may have help with many of the everyday tasks that you’ve been used to doing for yourself, and you’ll be able to participate in plenty of social activities.

It’s important to remember that you will still be your own person. As long as your health permits, you can go on holidays, visit friends and come and go as you like.

As a resident of the home, you will have a say in your living arrangements or those of the home in general. You will be expected to respect the rights and needs of other people in the home, as they will be expected to respect yours.

Visitors are welcome any time of the day and as arranged after hours.

All meals are cooked freshly on site daily that meets all dietary requirements and residents preferences.  Bentley Wood takes pride in sourcing local suppliers. 

Who will provide medical and personal care at Bentley Wood?

Our staffing levels are based on our residents’ needs and are constantly monitored and adjusted to ensure continuity and quality of care.

Bentley Wood ensures there are registered nurses 24 hours a day and our clinical care team is supported by a strong multi-disciplinary team including general practitioners, allied health professionals and specialist services.

What social activities are provided at a Bentley Wood home?

Your aged care home will organise social and other activities. You’re free to participate in as many, or as few, as you wish.

Bentley Wood Aged Care’s homes employ experienced leisure and lifestyle staff. We encourage you to share your interests and hobbies which will assist with planning activities that tailor your needs.

Do you have registered nurses on duty 24 hours a day?

Yes there are registered nurses 24 hours a day and our clinical care team is supported by a strong multi-disciplinary team including general practitioners, allied health professionals and specialist services.

Can I come in for Respite care?

Yes but you will have to be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Service.

What do I do if I have a complaint?

It’s best to raise the issue with your aged care home at first. If your concerns are still not resolved, you can contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822